A Launcher bug is one of the most frustrating things when you’re getting ready to play Final Fantasy XIV. Getting stopped at the first hurdle, before you’ve even successfully loaded the FFXIV client, is incredibly annoying. Fortunately, there are some solutions for these annoying launcher errors. Here are all currently known fixes for launcher bugs in FFXIV.
How to fix FFXIV launcher errors
There are various issues with the Final Fantasy XIV Launcher, with various error codes and messages being experienced prior to crashes and other issues. We have listed them below with fixes.
FFXIV “A system error has occurred” Launcher Error
This is the most common startup error and is reportedly associated with file corruption, DNS issues, or network outage. So the first step is to double check your network to make sure there is no connection issue on your end.
Then check that there are no connection issues on the client side or on the Square Enix side. To do this, go to the server status website. Check your data center and
- Restart your computer and the game completely: This will fix most errors.
- Check your firewall settings/disable your firewall: Sometimes your Firewall may interfere with the Launcher. Make sure there is an exception for the Launcher or disable your Launcher temporarily.
- Run the Final Fantasy XIV Launcher as administrator: To do this on Steam, go to your installation in the Steam Library and right click. Scroll down to Propertiesand then in the box that appears, click local filesand Browse…. ensure the ffxiv.exe file and any other applications run as Administrator by right-clicking on them and selecting the option.
Related: Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker Patch Schedule – 6.38 & 6.4 Release Date
How to fix FFXIV Launcher that won’t start
Sometimes the Launcher doesn’t even start for players. This is incredibly frustrating as it prevents you from even being able to do anything or seeing an error message. Here is the solution:
In the Steam version of the Launcher, the first thing you need to do is verify the integrity of your installation. The first step to do this is to head over to the Steam Library installation and right click. Then scroll down to Propertiesand then in the box that appears, click Local Files and “Verify the integrity of the game files….” Once this is complete, restart the game and see if it is fixed.
If not, it’s time to reinstall Final Fantasy XIV. First, make sure to completely uninstall and then reinstall the Launcher. Remember to make a backup of your User data folders before doing this, as it stores your Quick access bars and Options configuration and will be a pain to redo if you forget.
On the Windows version of the Launcher, follow the same reinstall steps. However, you may also need to update Internet Explorer, which is used by some parts of the FFXIV Launcher. To do this:
- Check your version of Internet Explorer. Open Internet Explorer, select the Help option on the menu bar, then select About Internet Explorer. Make sure the version is at least Internet Explorer 11.
- If you are running Internet Explorer 10 or earlier, download the latest version to Microsoft Internet Explorer website.
If this doesn’t work, then it’s time to reinstall. Again, back up your userdata folders before doing this, as it stores your Hotbars and Options settings, and losing this will be incredibly annoying to remedy.
Related: Final Fantasy XIV Patch 6.38: Biggest Changes and Things You Might Have Missed
Manually update your FFXIV launcher
If your Final Fantasy XIV launcher does not update automatically, you will need to update the launcher manually. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Gonna Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV – A Realm Reborn\ on your computer
- Select FFXIV_BOOT.cfg and open it in Notepad app
- Look for BootVersionCheckMode 0 in Notepad and change the 0 still 1.
- Save and start the Launcher to force a manual update.
Some users reported that the Launcher reverted this 0 to 1 even after saving. To fix this problem, repeat the process until your PC accepts the change. Once this change has been applied, the game should manually update the Final Fantasy XIV launcher on PC.
For more Final Fantasy XIV bug fixes, guides, and more, check out Top FFXIV Furniture Design Contest 2022 Winners Ranked on MyFullGames.