Despite spending an ungodly amount of time in the character creator, we all eventually will reach a point where we wonder how to change class in Baldur’s Gate 3 – and finding Withers’ location and understanding the cost is a key part of that.
While the sheer amount of customisation and flexibility on offer in Baldur’s Gate 3 is an absolute joy, we don’t blame you if you feel like you’ve made the wrong decision after a couple of hours of playtime in the game.
Of course, you could just embrace it and try and adapt to the playstyle, but you can thankfully change your class in Baldur’s Gate 3, and we’ve got all of the details you’ll need below.
How to change your class in Baldur’s Gate 3
In order to change your class in Baldur’s Gate 3, you must speak to Withers at your camp and pay him a 100 gold fee.
Withers can be found on the northern edge of your camp by the river bank and a canoe, and you must speak to him first for the option to appear. It seems as if there is no limit on the number of times that you can change your class outside of the monetary requirement, so feel free to change away if you so desire.
Changing your class will of course change any spells, cantrips, or specialisations that you started with or have picked up along the way, so do bear that in mind before you make the choice to reset.
Where to find Withers in Baldur’s Gate 3
You will need to actually find Withers in Baldur’s Gate 3 in order to speak to him at your camp though, so make sure to follow the steps below to locate him in the game:
- Head into the Refectory, which can be found to the north of the Overgrown Ruins waypoint
- Continue through the Refectory until you reach the southmost room. You will have to fight a few enemies to reach it
- At the back of the room there should be a button in the shape of a skull – activate it
- Head back out of the room and the door immediately to the left should have opened. Head through there to reach the Dank Crypt
- Once you’re in the Dank Crypt, head into the room to the right and stand on the eastern side of the central sarcophagus. Make sure that you don’t interact with anything in the room up until this point
- A perception check should reveal a button on the pillar to the right of the statue and to the east of the central sarcophagus
- Open the sarcophagus which will activate a fire trap, then quickly press the button to deactivate the trap – this is best done in turn-based mode
- Open the sarcophagus and take the key found inside, then head back into the central area of the Dank Crypt and use the key to unlock the other large door
- Head to the north-west corner of the room behind the unlocked door, and another button should appear on the wall after a perception check
- Press the button, complete the fight that starts, then head inside and open the sarcophagus to reveal Withers
It is obviously key that you do not attack or engage Withers in a hostile manner at all when you encounter him here, and if the conversation goes well he should just start walking away. After this, he will appear any time you head to your camp, allowing you to change your class freely.
So, that’s everything you need to know if you were wondering how to change class in Baldur’s Gate 3, leaving you free to alter any poor decisions you made while first creating your character.
Looking for more help when journeying through the Forgotten Realms? Check out our dedicated Baldur’s Gate 3 homepage for all of the latest news and guides.